Install DSP-KIT into a 718KVM/749KVM
The 718KVM - and 749KVM 3-in-1 rackmount version - has these features when purchased:
- 4K video and HDCP 2.2
- Stereo audio support
- Stereo audio analog output 3.5mm with adjustable delay
- KVM support for USB 2.0
- RS232, CEC, and IR control
The DSP-KIT is a field-modifiable add-on (sold separately) to the 718KVM that adds these features:
- Dolby Digital 5.1 audio support
- Dolby DSP: re-encode Dolby Digital 5.1 to stereo using Dolby Pro Logic II for HDMI distribution to both multi-channel and stereo audio zones. See this article for specifics.
- Stereo audio analog output 3.5mm with adjustable delay and volume adjustment
- Two analog audio inputs mixable with HDMI audio
718KVM vs 718AVP
The easiest way to describe the 718KVM/749KVM is:
718KVM + DSPKIT = 718AVP
749KVM + (3x DSPKIT) = 749AVP
Installing the DSP-KIT requires only a Phillips-head screwdriver
- Unscrew the 4 screws on the sides of the 718KVM case
- Unscrew the locking nuts on the 3.5mm Mic-In and Line-In ports on the front of the unit
- Locate the rectangular area on the circuit board with pins to accept the DSP-KIT
- Align the DSP-KIT with the pins on the circuit board. Press down gently on the board from all 4 corners until the pins are snug in the sockets. Be careful that the 3 sets of pins are aligned before pressing down.
- Replace the case, screws, and locking nuts.
How Do I Tell if the DSP-KIT is Installed?
The front of the unit has a Dolby Digital green LED. The behavior of this green LED is different when the DSP-KIT is installed or not:
- If the DSP-KIT IS NOT installed, the LED will show a slow, steady blink regardless of the audio format
- If the DSP-KIT IS installed, the LED will be:
- on permanently when the incoming audio format is Dolby Digital 5.1
- off permanently when the incoming audio format is stereo audio or no audio is present